Since 1922, the City of Hamiltonís Gage Park has provided Hamiltonians with a rich mixture of open space, play fields, gardens and tree-lined paths that cover over 30 hectares of green space at the foot of the Niagara Escarpment.
Located east of the downtown core at Main Street East and Gage Avenue South, Gage Park serves both its surrounding downtown community as well as plays host to citywide special events that draw people from beyond Hamiltonís borders.
Gage Park has two playgrounds (one is wheelchair accessible), a bandshell, greenhouses, gardens, spray pad, wading pool, the Children's Museum where there is a creative play structure with spring toys and swings, and the beautiful Gage Park Fountain.
Here are just some of the things to do in the park.
Gage Avenue and Upper Gage Avenue are named after the park of the same name whose western border is bounded by Gage Avenue.
The park was on lands sold by Robert Russel Gage, a descendent of William Gage and named in honour of the Gage families that descended from James Gage, a lumber merchant and his uncle William Gage, a farmer.